Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summer concerts...

The one thing I love about summer, are the concerts that are going on all over the city. The first concert for the summer for was Victor Wooten at the Beachland Ballroom last night. I went with my Dad and brother.

 For those of you that don't know Victor Wooten, here's his website: http://www.victorwooten.com/


 My Dad is an amateur bass player and so going to see acts like Victor Wooten are right up his alley. Dad insisted on taking his Nikon Digital SLR camera, an I have to say, that he actually got quite a few good shots, considering that the floor was pretty crowded (standing room only), and that there was a three hundred pound, six foot four guy trying to edge his way directly in the front of the crowd, as if he were made of glass and we could see right through him.... but I digress.

 The show was very nice. I was pleasantly surprised, as I have never seen Victor Wooten in concert before. His band consisted of Krytal Peterson, Singer. JD Blair, Drummer, Steve Bailey, Bass player - he played a six string bass... I had never seen one, until last night, Anthony Wellington, bass player, Dave Welsch, Trumpet player and Derico Watson, Drummer.

 The show started forty-five minutes late, yeah I know artists can be a bit weird about concert start times, but I felt this was a bit much.

 Krystal Peterson has a great voice, nice renditions of classic funk and R&B songs, however I don't feel she has the voice to sing Deniece Williams. The attempt at "Let's Hear it for the Boy" left much to be desired. However her version of "Overjoyed" by Stevie Wonder was very well done.

 I thoroughly enjoyed the solos by Victor Wooten himself and Steve Bailey. The song sung by Dave Welsch was very good, and its driving me crazy that I cannot remember the name of the song. On the whole, the concert was very good. Too bad I can't say much about some of the audience members.

 This concert was also my first time at the Beachland Ballroom venue. Its a small venue, but I thought it was nice. A typical concert dive sort of feel. I would definitely return.

 One the way out, as we were walking back to the car, we noticed that the bar side of the venue had another show going on. The band playing in there was called "She's my sister, he's my brother". We peeked in on one of their songs, and we were pleasantly surprised. We definitely agreed we would look them up and try to catch them the next time they were in Cleveland

 until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment